Genius Hour Reflection #1

For my genius hour project, at first, I spent my time doing some research on pop culture. Few weeks later, when the due date came closer, I realized that it was too broad of a topic, to explain under 3 minutes, so, I changed my genius hour project to the history of rap. Why did I choose this topic? I chose to spend my research time on the history of rap because I noticed that a lot of people – including myself – listened to songs of the genre, but didn’t know how it all started. Naturally, before hand, I did some leisure research and I was really interested, so, I decided to continue it for my project.

I feel as though my knowledge really did expand during this research time. At first, I thought that rap came about when a random person decided to speak and rhyme to a beat. So, what did I learn? A lot. To begin, I learned that it only took two men (DJ Kool Herc, and Coke LaRock), a mic, a beat, and a turntable, to start a whole genre of music. That’s all it took for me to understand a whole genre. Did this help me grow as a person? No, I don’t think learning about the history of rap helped me grow as a person, but it definitely helped my knowledge grow. I got to research something I really loved, yet still learn so much about.

How did what I learn help (the world, community etc.) in some way? What I learned did not help learn an entire community let alone the world, but it did help my classmates in some way. One way this happened was, when I played a snippet of one of the first rap songs released. By doing this, I was able to give them a taste of what rap sounded like then, versus now. This possibly alternated there view on rap as a whole, and made them realise that there used to be a different type of rap back then, that is completely different from the type we hear today.  

How will what I learn in the next Genius Hour help the world, community yourself, etc.? Well, depending on what I decided my next genius hour to be, I’m hoping that this one would be more educational, and “more serious” yet still fun, than my previous one.

Published inUncategorized

3 Comments

1. hakimsblog

I really enjoyed your GH project. It was one of the few topics that everybody could relate to. We could clearly see that you enjoyed presenting to us.

• Jennifer George

Thank you x

2. lebrookea

This is a really good post, I enjoyed it a lot. I’ve never really listened to rap music, I normally just listen to country or pop. That is really cool how you learned so much about the origin of rap music from just one project. Who is your favorite rap artist? Why do you like them? I would love for you to come check out my blog here is the URL http://mcdowellmedia.edublogs.org/category/authors-of-mcdowell-media/brooke/